Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One Hot Concept: Frozen Yogurt

Have you heard of Pinkberry? How about BoYo? Red Mango? Red Kiwi? Yogurbella? How about the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck!? If you haven't heard of any of these then you're missing out on one of the hottest (coolest?) concepts in the United States right now. If you have heard of at least one of these then you know the frozen yogurt concept is taking this country by storm, and has been since Pinkberry launched in 2005. However it is Red Mango, a Korean company, who claims to have pioneered the tart variety of nonfat frozen yogurt back in 2002; Red Mango opened their first US store in 2007.

I myself have become enchanted by the nonfat frozen yogurt craze. I had my first taste of Pinkberry back in 2008 during a visit to southern California. On my first day in Venice I stopped into the first Pinkberry I saw and ordered a pomegranate frozen yogurt with fresh blueberries; I was hooked. I ordered an original frozen yogurt with fresh mango the next day, and again the day after, and again the day after that. I think I had some Pinkberry every day that week.

Pinkberry

Pinkberry

The closest Pinkberry to Boston is in NYC, so imagine my excitement when I found out about a new frozen yogurt cafe opening in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston called boYO. Boston Yogurt, better known as boYO, is definitely modeled after Pinkberry but has its own unique personality. With regularly changing flavors in addition to the original nonfat frozen yogurt, they also have gelato, sorbet, and an espresso and hot chocolate bar. On my first visit I ordered an original with fresh mango, but have been back several times for my fix.

BoYo Frozen Yogurt

BoYo Original with Chocolate Chips

Then this past December while in Miami, my wife and I turned to Yelp for help in finding some froyo in the Miami area. We were nowhere near the Pinkberry in Miami Beach so we headed to Red Kiwi in Coconut Grove. We ordered an original with fresh mango and a nutella with fresh raspberries. The nutella frozen yogurt was fantastic, but I think it's tough to beat the original tart flavor. After doing some research I discovered that the Red Kiwi in Coconut Grove is the only location right now, but they are looking to expand through franchising. Interested?

Red Kiwi Frozen Yogurt

Original Frozen Yogurt with Mango

Nutella Frozen Yogurt with Raspberries

Have you jumped on the nonfat frozen yogurt bandwagon yet? I'm firmly planted in the front seat of the wagon and can always find an excuse for some deliciously tart frozen yogurt. Even in the middle of a snow storm that never materialized, like today. Way to go meteorologists. And just for the record, the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck is an ice cream truck in New York City that drives around serving up delicious ice cream treats.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, so this really made me get to the states immediately. I love frozen yogurt... can you believe they don't sell it here in Germany? They don't even know it, it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I just saw that I forgot to say that it made me WANT TO get back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aleks, California and Florida seem to have the highest concentration of froyo cafes, obviously for due to the warm climate. However they are popping up all over the place, I hear a Pinkberry is opening in Boston soon!

    As for Germany known selling frozen yogurt, I think you have a business opportunity! Good luck - maybe Red Kiwi will sell you a franchise to operate there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so on board for fro-yo, and it has gone a bit overboard in the Bay Area. Problem is, my favorite is Red Mango and Pinkberry and they're not in my city. I have to travel far for them, so it's a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SG Ben, it's exploding every where! The Boston market is ripe for an explosion. Two new places have opened in the last six months and Pinkberry is opening this summer. As for you in the Bay Area, there is a Pinkberry in Palo Alto, that is NOT too far to drive for a little taste of heaven on a hot summer day, or in the middle of the winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have berryline over here in cambridge. I may or may not have eaten there for breakfast recently... Yikes. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Greenologist! I'm going to have to check out berryline; with three locations in Cambridge dating back to 2007 I don't know how I've missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. red kiwi got best frozen yogurt in the miami times for 2010

    ReplyDelete