Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday's Tasting - Trader Joe's Shepards Pie

Can you believe it's been almost a year since I've posted up a Tuesday's Tasting? I certainly can't. Tonight marks the triumphant return of Tuesday's Tasting with a selection that is sure to please. Reader's, I give to you Trader Joe's Shepard's Pie.

When I was growing up, Shepard's pie was a go to for my Mom, along with tuna casserole, meatloaf, and baked chicken and rice. When it comes to Shepard's pie, what's not to love about beef, vegetables and mashed potatoes layered on top of each other. It is, and always will be comfort food at it's best. Well, comfort food for non-vegetarians at least. As good as this Shepard's pie is, it can't touch my Mom's...love you Mom!

Now let's talk about TJ's Shepard's Pie. The beef is tender and flavorful, not ground but shredded like it might be brisket. The vegetable medley consists of peas, carrots, corn and green beans, and they actually taste fresh. The peas really stood out in the mix, still somewhat crisp, and still bright green, I did not doctor the photo below. There were no green-gray mushy peas here folks. As for the mashed potatoes, they were good, not great, but good. J said she thought the mashed potatoes could be better, but overall it was good Shepard's pie. Finally the gravy, rich and tasty, it adds a nice bit of flavor to the whole package.

It couldn't have been any easier to make either, 9-10 minutes in the microwave on high and 1 minute of rest and it was done. I will warn you though, I peeled the plastic off one corner of the plastic dish to vent it during cooking, just like I was told too, and the gravy bubbled out and over the sides, making a nice mess of the glass dish that spins in my microwave. Save yourself the microwave cleanup and put the Shepard's Pie dish on another plate to cook.


If you remember Shepard's pie from your childhood, or if you're just a shepard's pie fan in general, I strongly encourage you to head to your local Trader Joe's and pick up a package or three of Trader Joe's Shepard's Pie, it's good. Really.

10 comments:

  1. Nice Review! I am always curious about TJ's frozen foods, this one looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this before, and you're right, it is good. I baked mine in the oven - takes longer, but I didn't have the bubble-over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, TJ's frozen foods are usually VERY good. Take a look at the rest of the Tuesday's Tastings that I have linked in the right side bar of my blog.

    Hi Vicki, next time I'll make this in the oven, I had quite a mess to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Tuesday's Tastings are back!
    I have to say the Shepard's Pie looks pretty good. I still (somehow) haven't got around to trying the Mac n' Cheese but I've been pretty satisfied with TJ's frozen stuff, including their thin crust pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks pretty good! I will pick some up the next time I'm at TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, just when I got back into it, my trip around the world threw me off my blogging schedule. I'll be writing again soon, with some more Tuesday's Tastings :) The pizzas are great, I've always got a few in my freezer.

    Hi Loren, it was really good considering it came from the freezer. I'll definitely buy it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just on a mission to help my British husband stop cringing every time an American says that Shepherds Pie contains beef. I did the same thing and had to deal w/ the wrath of a pissed-off Englishman. so,i'm joining him in the fight to help. I think when he heard Alton Brown say it he knew it was an epidemic. so here goes..

    Shepherd Pie must always contain lamb. A shepherd herds sheep... hence shepherd's pie. a COTTAGE pie is the one that contains beef. no freaking clue why it's called cottage pie! But see, even trader joe's is fooled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i tried a sample of this at trader joe's (love their sample system) recently and it was great! have you tried their popped potato chips? it's yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are never full - duly noted, thanks for the lesson. I grew up calling it shepards pie, and trader joe's calls it shepards pie, so that is why I've posted it as such. I will do my best to carry on the lesson you've taught me though. So...this COTTAGE pie was great considering it's coming from the freezer!

    immaeatchu - Hey, I agree. I have not tried the popped potato chips yet, I'll look for them next time I'm in TJ's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My great grandmother was straight off the boat from Warwick, England and taught my mother the same thing - Shepard's Pie is lamb and Cottage Pie is Beef. This is the first time I've ever heard of another American who's been taught the difference! Even my Kiwi husband hadn't heard it and it's not so long ago that they were still part of the Commonwealth!

    ReplyDelete