Sunday, February 03, 2008

Tomato and spinach eggs bene with oven-roasted chili potatoes

This morning was a lazy morning, nothing to do except eat, sleep and relax. Must stay rested for the Super Bowl - Go Patriots! A good breakfast was in order so I went across the street to the market and picked up some Portuguese sweet muffins, also known as bolos, a couple Yukon gold potatoes, a tomato, some spinach, and some free-range organic eggs. Now more than ever, I'm going to try to buy organic. The FDA approved meat and milk from cloned animals last week, but if it's cloned, it's not organic. I also read in the March 2007 issue of Bicycling magazine that "the pesticides in conventional foods pollute our bodies - and can actually make us fat." My health is worth a few extra dollars.

Anyway, knowing the potatoes will take the longest to cook, I diced them up and tossed them salt, pepper, cayenne, a few pinches of chili powder, and some good olive oil. I sautéed them on the stove top for a few minutes then placed the pan in the oven to roast the rest of the way through.

Next, I sliced up some garlic real thin and tossed it with a few tablespoons of olive oil in a hot skillet. After a minute or so, I removed the garlic, leaving me with a delicious garlic-flavored oil to sauté the spinach in. I cracked four eggs into simmering water to poach and started on a quick hollandaise. An egg yolk, some fresh-squeezed lemon juice, a few dashes of hot sauce (I like Frank's Extra Hot), and a little water, whisked together in a stainless steel bowl over simmering water. Add in a some butter, some salt and pepper to taste (use white pepper if you don't want specks in your hollandaise) and you've got a quick, easy and delicious hollandaise for your eggs.

Once the eggs were ready - I like my poached eggs more gluey than runny - I topped the toasted bolos with sliced tomato, some of the sautéed spinach, the poached eggs and the hollandaise sauce. Add the oven-roasted chili potatoes to the plate and it's breakfast time!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks fantastic! Anything w/ Hollandaise sauce glurred all over it I can eat.
    In my poor-girl college days I learned how to make h-sauce and my roommate and I would just get some bread and dip it in that for dinner. True(boring)story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pity those who don't live in our part of the country, where bolos are available in every grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, hollandaise and bread, wow. I can hear my arteries screaming!

    Hi Lydia, I've only ever known my markets to have bolos. You mean they aren't available everywhere? I never want to move away! I love them...

    ReplyDelete