Monday, January 28, 2008

Asparagus and red pepper frittata with fresh herbs and Manchego

Frittatas are one of the easiest egg dishes to make, except for maybe scrambling some eggs. Dice up some veggies, sauté them in a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil and butter, pour in some eggs seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh herbs if you like, let the edges set on the stove top then finish it under the broil. Piece of cake. The arugula and goat cheese frittata that I wrote about a couple weeks ago was a hit, so I thought I'd share another on of my frittatas.

For this past brunch, I made an Asparagus and Red Pepper Frittata with fresh herbs and Manchego cheese. I cut the asparagus into one inch pieces and blanched them for just a minute in boiling water then cooled them quickly in an ice bath to prevent them from over cooking. After draining, I added the asparagus pieces to the skillet with some chopped red pepper and freshly ground pepper. While the red pepper softened in the skillet, I seasoned one dozen beaten eggs with fresh parsley, chive, scallion and some shredded Manchego cheese. Once the red pepper had softened a bit, I added the egg mixture to the skillet and allowed the sides to just set before neatly placing slices of Manchego cheese on top and sliding the skillet under the broiler to finish. Another tasty frittata, another happy crowd.

10 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. I hope you will make this next time we come for brunch. Yummm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a frittata fanatic! This one sounds -- and looks -- delicious. Will go rooting around in my fridge to see whether I have all of the ingredients. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Holy tortilla/frittata that looks SO freaking GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ninna...Mom! I'll definitely make this, although the arugula and goat cheese frittata was great too. Maybe I'll make one of each.

    Hi Lydia, this frittata was delicious, the fresh herbs go a long way in adding incredible amounts of flavor.

    Hi canarygirl, thanks! I haven't met a frittata I didn't like, but this was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! i thought that was a pizza at first, but it's even better (healthier) as a frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a lot of frittatas in the summer - but this sounds like a great combo. I'm definitely going to be trying that later in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy, it does look like a pizza, doesn't it? It was so delicious!

    Hi forkfulofspaghetti, you'll love it! My arugula and goat cheese frittata is excellent too, you should try both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I have a question about the frittata. I have never tried frittata or quiche but they always sound so good to me, the catch is I don't like eggs. Could you/anyone describe what a frittata tastes like? Can you really taste the eggs?

    Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alex, if you don't like eggs you probably won't like quiche and you definitely won't like frittata. A frittata is basically a baked omelet, it's all about the eggs.

    Quiche is an egg custard, a mixture of eggs and cream. Again, quiche is all about the eggs.

    If you don't like eggs, there really is no way you're going to like a frittata or quiche. Sorry!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alex -- I don't like eggs either, but I LOVE frittatas and omelets because they are so doctored up. Doctored up eggs are the only way to go, in my book. So I say TRY IT!! You may be surprised!!

    ReplyDelete