Friday, September 19, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

I just read about the Omnivore's Hundred on Dishing, Boston.com's food blog, however this list and blogger 'game' originated on the English blog Very Good Taste. I thought that this was a fun thing to play along with so here we go, instructions are below. Also, because I didn't know myself, I linked to Wikipedia for many of the foods I have not tried.

Here are the instructions:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

And here's my list, with comments in parentheses.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros (I love Mexican brekkie!)
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp (it's the base for gefilte fish)
9. Borscht (love it or hate, it was always around when I was a kid)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari (I like it grilled the best)
12. Pho (some of the best can be found in Boston's Chinatown)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi (I was introduced to this in India!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (apple wine at Russel Orchards)
19. Steamed pork buns (I love dim sum)
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras (I'm torn between it's velvety goodness and the torturous process by which it's made)
24. Rice and beans (I'd be happy to live on them if I had to)
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I used to grow them)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (Mango lassi is my favorite)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (I'm not sure what is so great about this combo)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (I had some a couple weeks ago, actually!)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (Again, had this in India; didn't love it)
42. Whole insects (Chapulines at Tu y Yo)
43. Phaal (Next time in I'm India, I'm seeking this out!)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (I think $90 has been my limit)
46. Fugu (Also known as pufferfish, bring it on!)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (never again - I'm boycotting McDonald's)
56. Spaetzle (In Switzerland)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV (some of my favorites at The Publick House)
59. Poutine (look it up, sounds interesting)
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (I really want to try this)
66. Frogs’ legs (At Dali in Somerville, I love 'em!)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears, or funnel cake (the original doughnuts!)
68. Haggis (Yes, in Scotland. And I really liked it!)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings or andouillette (No thank you!!)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (not a big fan of caviar)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (No, I don't think so.)
76. Baijiu (Some say it tastes like rubbing alcohol or diesel fuel...why does ANYONE know what rubbing alcohol or diesel fuel taste like?!)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail (I don't know how I haven't tried these yet)
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum (one of my favorite soups)
82. Eggs Benedict (My all time favorite breakfast meal!)
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef (I don't think I've really had the real thing)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse (I saw it on the menu in Switzerland...I'd have a hard time with this)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab (Love it, especially in Spider Rolls)
93. Rose harissa (harissa, yes. Rose harissa, no.)
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (a staple of my childhood, and break fasts)
97. Lobster Thermidor (Lobster yes, thermidor no.)
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (The real deal)
100. Snake

Your turn!

3 comments:

  1. I'll hook you up with durian & Pocky the next time you're in Seattle. In the meantime, get your toochis up to Montreal for some poutine. Nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i see that you are from boston and have linked tangierino as a favorite...

    i work at nile lounge, tangierino's biggest rival for hookah.

    even before working at nile, i noticed that, despite its more modest setting, nile serves the best shisha i've had here in america.

    i definately urge you to come check it out. 70 brighton ave (allston). and i know this seems like such an advertisement right now, but you have good taste (ive been checking your blog out for a while) and if you like to smoke you should def check us out! i love my work so much, i would not post something like this if i didnt mean it.

    oh and i like my calamari grilled too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey L(isa?) I'll let you know the next time I'm in Seattle for sure. I'm dying to try durian. I think its a toss up whether I'll get to Seattle or Montreal first...

    Hey Boston Pariah, no worries on the advertisement ;) but I'm not a smoker. I go to Tangierino because the food is amazing!

    ReplyDelete