Thursday, February 28, 2008

Petit Paris in Scotland

My first dinner in Scotland was at this French restaurant called Petit Paris last Friday night. It is on Grassmarket right across the street from the hotel we were staying at. The food was excellent, the wine (private label) was drinkable, and the service was quite good. I think everyone really enjoyed their meals. Many of my colleagues started with the steamed mussels so I tried some, they were very good, served in a bleu d'Auvergne sauce. My dinner can be seen below, and it was great.

White Asparagus with Quail's Eggs, Walnut Oil Vinaigrette and Roasted Pine Nuts

The white asparagus was tender and delicious, and the quail's eggs were delicate and, well eggs. The salad was great.

Fresh Sea Bass Filet with Olives, Fresh Basil, Garlic Confit and Sun-Blushed Tomatoes

The sea bass was cooked perfectly, and well seasoned. The olives, basil, garlic confit and tomatoes tasted great together, I was very happy with my choice.

Sauteed Potatoes

Crème Brûlée and a Glass of Monbazillac
The crème brûlée could not have been any better. Nice and crispy on the top, sweet, smooth and delicious underneath. It went very will with the glass of monbazillac that I had. I asked for some sauternes, but this is what they had for sweet dessert wines. It was very good. Monbazillac is a French dessert wine made from Sémillon, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle grapes that have all been affected by noble rot.

Petit Paris
38-40 Grassmarket
Edinburgh
EH1 2JU
Tel: 0131-226 2442

5 comments:

  1. the creme brulee has stolen all my attention. It looks gr8 and i'm sure it was the perfect ending to your lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tagged you for a meme. Please forgive me. Hope you get a chance to do it, once you've posted all about India, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate/Kajal, the creme brulee was excellent, and it went very well with glass of Monbazillac.

    Hi Anna, I'll get to the meme, no worries. And I'm going to get my posts from India real soon; I need to make time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo i havent had creme brulee in a looong time. that looks heavenly.

    You better start posting pictures of the beautiful scenery too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly T, coming right up! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete