Monday, January 21, 2008

Savory or Sweet?

I'm talking about crepes, of course! Do you like yours savory or sweet?A new crêperie called Melt gelato & crepe café recently opened by my house in the newly expanded section of the Natick Mall, or as the marketeers call it, the Natick Collection. As I was walking through the new section of the mall for the first time, this new eatery caught my eye, since I realized a few years ago that I actually like crepes. There is a crêperie in Greenwich, Connecticut named Meli-Melo that turned me on to crepes for life; crepes and coconut sorbet actually!

Anyway, melt serves a variety of savory and sweet crepes as well as lots of homemade gelatos, smoothies, and coffee drinks. They also have a chocolate fountain and fresh fruit if you prefer chocolate covered fruit!

On my first visit to melt, I decided to go savory with my crepe. I tried the Andalusian crepe, a soft French-style crepe filled with avocado, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, and a mild jack cheese. Served with a side of mixed greens and creamy Italian-like dressing, this crepe was good, very fulfilling. To finish my meal I had a scoop of the coconut macadamia nut gelato, it too was great.

Melt Gelato & Crepe Cafe is a public company (MLTC) and has franchise opportunities available if your interested. I personally just want to go back for a peanut butter and jelly crepe or a strawberries & cream crepe with fresh strawberries, chocolate or nutella, and whipped cream.

Making of the Crepe

My Andalusian crepe awaiting the fold

The final product - delicious!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like The Magic Pan, come back to life. When we first moved to Boston 30+ years ago, The Magic Pan was a few blocks from our Back Bay apartment, and we ate there all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia, my in-laws told me about the Magic Pan when I mentioned melt to them. I hear it was quite popular...crepes are making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually had a savory crepe... hmmm, I better get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum that crepe looks so good and is not a good thing for me to look at when I'm so hungry! I like both savory and sweet crepes but haven't tried a lot of either. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi clumsy, savory crepes are so good. The crepe itself is so versatile, I think you could stick a kitchen sink in a crepe and it might taste good.

    Hi eatme, if my hand was a rubber stamp, that's what it would say. :) Thanks for stopping by here, I love the baking you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi One Food Guy...
    I am requesting a "Kitchen Sink" in a crepe for next time you have everyone over for dinner. I am such a picky eater to begin with that maybe this time it'll be a hit! :-) Very impressed with the web site- how you find time to update is beyond me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi anon, I don't do crepes in my kitchen, but I'd be happy to make you a "kitchen sink" stuffed chicken!

    ReplyDelete