Monday, December 27, 2010

Eating in the Swiss Alps, Part 1

My real job takes me to a lot of places and one of my favorites is Switzerland. On one trip to the country I spent a weekend in the Alps for some skiing, some fun, and a lot of great food. On what was my first foray into the Swiss Alps I visited Melchsee-Frutt and Andermatt. Pictures of the beautiful mountains and delicious food follow below. Mountain food in Switzerland is simple, satisfying, and sustaining, but most importantly it's delicious! On this trip I learned about rösti and Älpler Magronen, a delicious Swiss macaroni and cheese-like dish consisting of pasta, potatoes, ham or bacon, cheese, and onions. The version I ate at the top of Andermatt was good (see below), but on a later trip up into the Alps in Arosa I would have what may go down as the best Alpler Magronen of all time. More on my trip to Arosa in another post. For now, enjoy my visit to Melchsee-Frutt and Andermatt.

Melchsee-Frutt
IMG_5575

Kalbsbratwurst mit Zwiebelsauce und ein butter-rösti
[Veal sausage with onion sauce and buttered potatoes]
Gasthof Waldhaus Stöckalp - Melchsee-Frutt
IMG_5580

Apfelstrudel [Apple Strudel]
IMG_5582

Andermatt
IMG_5602

IMG_5603

Andermatt

Andermatt

View from the top of Andermatt

Andermatt

IMG_5625

View at Lunch on Andermatt

Älpler Magronen high up on Andermatt
IMG_5629


From the top of Andermatt

Andermatt

1 comment:

  1. Hi I love your blog!Swiss food is truely amazing!here is my food blog: http://thefoodiemagazine.wordpress.com/, feel free to take a look;)

    ReplyDelete