Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Most Crowded Place on Earth

To really experience a new city, you should visit one of its public markets. Having visited public markets in the US I know they can be quite crowded on the weekends, but in a country like India with a population of nearly 1.2 billion people, I had no idea what I was in for when I visited the Krishnarajendra Market in Bangalore last summer. The Krishnarajendra Market, also know as the Bangalore Central Market or City Market, is an enormous public market with entire floors dedicated to food, flowers, cooking equipment and parts for heavy machinery, really! At times while I was walking through the market, it was obvious that I was in one of the most crowded places on earth!

It would really be hard for me to do the market justice with words, so please, enjoy these pictures and try to imagine what it was like walking through Bangalore's Central Market. It was an experience of a lifetime and one I hope I will never forget.


IMG_7568

IMG_7552

IMG_7551

Betel Leaf Vendor at City Market, Bangalore

Roses at City Market, Bangalore

Krishnarajendra Market

Krishnarajendra Market

IMG_7588

IMG_7580

IMG_7579

IMG_7578

IMG_7577

IMG_7576

IMG_7575

Cilantro (Coriander)

IMG_7571

IMG_7562

IMG_7547

IMG_7546

IMG_7545

IMG_7553

IMG_7550

IMG_7554

IMG_7563

IMG_7567


IMG_7549 

IMG_7557

IMG_7605

IMG_7564

6 comments:

  1. wow!!! This a little different to the market I was at today...puts thing into perspective :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so vivid! I'm going to southern India in January, and I just can't wait. Everyone else is nervous about the food, but my taste buds are psyched. Any suggestions??

    I found your site looking for the whole grain oatmeal pancakes recipe. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for. About to make a late afternoon lunch for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ruairi, my experience at this market is something I will never forget. I've always said that when I made my first trip to India, all five of my senses were assaulted the minute I left the airport. My visit to this market, on my fifth trip to India, exemplified this feeling to no end.

    Hi Ron, definitely!

    Hi Cole, India is a fascinating country, I'm sure you will love it, the food especially! I'd love to talk more about India with you! As for the pancakes, I made them yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes! Fill me in! The more stories I hear, the more excited I get. Even if the stories involve food poisoning (as several have). You keep going back--what draws you back there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cole, I'd love to talk about it, send me an email (address in my profile) or hit me up on Twitter @onefoodguy

    ReplyDelete