Tuesday, May 26, 2009

French Street Food

France is known for a lot of things including great wine, cheese, bakeries and culture. And Paris is known for a lot of those things including the Eiffel Tower, the Mona Lisa, the Notre Dame, and amazing pâtisseries. When I told my friend Alex that I was headed to Paris for work I didn't even get a chance to ask her what I should do before she said "you absolutely have to get a banana and nutella crêpe from one of the street vendors." It was a common theme among friends when they learned of my trip so I made that my mission once I arrived. I took a few detours on my way to crêpe heaven, first to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo

IMG_6691

and then to the top of the Eiffel Tower,

Eiffel Tower

but it wasn't until I made my way down the river to the Notre Dame

Notre Dame

that I finally saw what I could only dream of previously, the famous street vendors that create the Parisian street food known as the crêpe. I saw lots of amazing and inspiring artwork, sculptures, and architectural wonders, but at that moment it was all about the banana nutella crêpe so I stepped right up and ordered one.

I think the young woman making my crêpe was a but uncomfortable with me taking pictures, should I have asked first? I was giddy like a little kid in a candy store; I was hungry and could not wait to try this crêpe I had heard so much about. Smeared with nutella and stuffed with ripe, sliced bananas, it was a challenge to eat with a broken arm in a cast, but I managed, a couple times. The crêpe pancake was hot, sweet and perfect and the nutella and banana filling almost brought me to my knees. Wow, so good. Seriously amazing. I want to go back to Paris for a lot of things and one of them is another banana nutella crêpe. Bon appétit!

CrepesAlign Center

Street Side Creperie

Street Side Creperie

Constructing a nutella and banana crepe

Most amazing street food in Paris

8 comments:

  1. aw you went to paris for work? lucky! i miss it so much. i had a crepe but not a banana nutella one. that sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! My grandma was French and made delicious, paper thin, crepes that we ate either with sugar and lemon, or with strawberry jam. I love crepes. I am pretty sure I would love it with Nutella & banana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan, I did indeed go to Paris for work! I was only there for a couple days so I jammed as much as possible into the one afternoon that I had free. I rode a bike down the Champs Elysees Tour de France style too, but the crepes were the highlight!

    Hi Lily, I love crepes, savory or sweet, but these Nutella and banana crepes I had on the street in Paris were the best I've ever had, hands down. I had a few of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That just made my day! I want a crepe banane et nutella tout de suite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex! Those tasty crepes made my day too! I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was that crepe place in the Latin Quarter? I might know that EXACT place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina, technically I don't think its in the latin quarter as it is on the Île de la Cité, but it's close! It's right on Rue du Cloître Notre Dame behind the Notre Dame Cathedral. Here it is in Google Maps http://tinyurl.com/mxbvsz.

    Technically the Latin Quarter is on the other side of the River Seine, right?

    Either way, you're in the right neighborhood and those crepes are killer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered your blog, and so glad I did. I havent had the pleasure of a banana nutella crepe, but some years ago, I did enjoy a Grand Marnier crepe! We got them from a street vendor on the walk down the hill from Sacre Coeur. It was so "loaded" with Grand Marnier, that my legs were like rubber for the rest of the walk down!

    ReplyDelete