Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Straussensteak at Helvetia Luzern

More from Luzern! My first dinner in the city of Luzern, Switzerland, was at the restaurant Helvetia. After arriving in Luzern mid-morning, I headed to the office for some afternoon meetings. Later in the day, a couple more colleagues arrived in the city and four of us went out for dinner. After a long day traveling and in the office, a nice tall, cold beer was in order. Round 1 was a tall Klosterbräu, a nice tasty beer and one that I had never heard of before.

To start the food portion of my meal, I had spargelsalat. Spargel is the German word for asparagus and salat the German word for salad. This was one delicious salad of warm asparagus, white and green, tomatoes, radicchio, some other greens and a warm vinaigrette.

Following the Klosterbräu and the salad was a nice tall unfiltered Löwenbräu (pronounced Loo-vehn broy, not Low-ehn-brow like us Americans say!) This was a nice, crisp, unfiltered beer with a tasty, somewhat fruity flavor. Very refreshing!

And finally, my entree, straussensteak. That is, an ostrich steak with buttered egg noodles and a steamed vegetable medley of carrots, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. The ostrich steak, as you can see in the picture below, is doused in a pink peppercorn sauce. The ostrich steak was incredibly lean and full of flavor. The taste is similar to beef, but much lighter, it does not have that rich, metallic (iron) taste that beef sometimes has. If you've never tried ostrich, I saw seek it out and give it a try, you might just love it!

I will add that this is not the first time I have had ostrich. A few years ago while at this place called Crazy Burger, I tried an ostrich burger, and I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment