Thursday, December 21, 2006

What's that smell? It's Garlic!

Have you ever noticed your hands still smelling like the garlic you minced three days ago or the salmon you prepared for dinner last night? Stores like Crate & Barrel sell a product called the Rub Away Bar for "washing" the odors of garlic, fish and other foods from your hands, but I'll say to you - DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on this one-dimensional product!

The Rub Away Bar is made from 18/8 stainless steel and it probably works well. The only problem with it is that it's only good for one thing. I'll bet you already have a tool in your kitchen that can be used like the Rub Away Bar and can also be used for other tasks like working with transferring chopped veggies to a bowl or pan, working with dough, or cleaning your Boos Board. The handy tool I am referring to is the pastry, or bench scraper. This scraper is made of the same stainless steel as the Rub Away Bar and can be used to "wash" your hands after you use it to transfer the just minced garlic to the pan. Try transferring chopped garlic to a pan with the Rub Away Bar!

Alton Brown shared this tip with me in the In the Bulb of the Night (Garlic) episode of Good Eats on The Food Network. Ever since I've been using my scraper to "wash" my hands after handling garlic or fish, it really works!! Thanks Alton!

3 comments:

  1. I heard that lemon juice works as well. But honestly, I don't mind food fingers haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't have any nicks or scrapes on your hands or else, YOWSAHS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a stainless steel sink, just wipe your hands on it with the water running...

    ReplyDelete