Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Caesar you can feel good about

Raw eggs. If you're not training for Mr. Olympia, you probably avoid eating raw eggs when at all possible. Enter the classic Caesar salad, a tasty combination of romaine lettuce, croutons, cheese and a dressing traditionally made with raw eggs. Do you avoid eating Caesar salad because you are afraid of contracting salmonella? If so, here is a Caesar salad that you can enjoy, no eggs.

Emeril Lagasse created this recipe he calls Caesar "Lite". Homemade croutons, a balsamic vinaigrette type dressing, and grilled shrimp. I like to make this with chicken. My trick to juicy, tender chicken every time is to start boneless, skinless chicken breasts in an oven safe pan on the stove top. Once the top side gets a good sear, flip it and finish it in the oven. Let the chicken rest on the cutting board for a few minutes before cutting and you're guaranteed to get tender, juicy chicken every time. Unless of course you burn it! I like to season the chicken simply with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. A little cayenne or Emeril's Essence* will give it a little extra kick. I also add anchovies to my salad, an ingredient not included in the original version of a Caesar Salad.


* Emeril's Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

2 comments:

  1. Concerning eggs, I had to make mayonnaise from scratch at the restaurant. My god, this is the worst thing in the world. So tiring! I remembered my wrists/forearms were sore for a few days. After that, we made it in a blender and life was beautiful again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, sorry i'm taking so long to get back to you on the recipes. I will do it the second I can.

    ReplyDelete